[Previous]                              [Table of Contents]                              [Next Section]

Common Questions

Q. How many hours does an eligible participant get?

A. Except as otherwise specifically provided in the plan, eligible employees and dependents are entitled to: One hundred (100) clock hours of legal representation per calendar year, non-cumulative, or per case regardless of duration, except domestic relations matters. All domestic relations matters are limited to a one hundred (100) hour lifetime benefit per family.

Q. How many hours is a family entitled to receive?

A. With the exception of domestic relations matters, an eligible employee and his/her eligible dependent cannot utilize more than two hundred fifty (250) hours per calendar year. For domestic relations matters, each employee is entitled to one hundred (100) hours of legal services during the time he or she is employed by the school district. Any time expended on a domestic relations matter for an employee’s spouse or dependent children will be subtracted from the employee’s lifetime benefit.

Q. What are out-of-pocket expenses and who pays them?

A. Out-of-pocket expenses are sums spent on behalf of your case. Some examples are: postage, duplicating, court costs, court filing fees, masters’ fees, depositions, expert witness fees, Recorder of Deeds fees, etc.

The plan pays ONLY for costs incurred on behalf of a will, codicil, living will or power of attorney file. It will also pay for those same costs incurred in the purchase or sale of your principal and primary residence. The member and/or dependents are required to prepay any other out-of-pocket expenses.

Q. How do I obtain legal assistance?

A. To obtain legal assistance provided by Plan Counsel, you should call the main office of the Fund’s legal services provider, Willig Williams & Davidson at 215-814-9200 or out of state toll free number 866-738-5343. You will have to provide the eligible employee’s social security number, work location, position, and telephone numbers at home and work. An attorney will contact you to schedule your appointment.

Q. I want to know the number of hours expended on my file. How can I obtain that information?

A. Simply request a copy of the time sheet from your attorney and it will be sent to you.

Q. If I would like to share my feelings about the plan of benefits and the delivery of services, to whom do I direct my comments or inquiries?

A. Crystal Barnett, PFT Legal Services Fund Coordinator or Laura Barris, Office Manager. Call whenever you have a question or comment about your legal services benefit. The telephone number is: 215-972-0942

Q. If you wish to talk to the attorneys who supervise the law office of Willig Williams & Davidson, you may contact:

A. Deborah R. Willig – 215-656-3600
Managing Partner email: dwillig@wwdlaw.com
Sharon Steingard – 215-656-3600
Supervising Attorney email: ssteingard@wwdlaw.com

[Previous]                              [Table of Contents]                              [Next Section]